We all know that it is important to drink water – but do you really know why? Here are 6 reasons why it is critical to consume enough water throughout the day, especially in the heat of summer.
- Water helps your skin stay hydrated, which in turn leads to great looking skin. Dehydration will make your skin look more dry and more wrinkled. But, that does not mean that drinking lots and lots of water will make those crows feet disappear.
- Water helps maintain all of your bodily fluids at proper levels so that it can functions properly. Some of the functions that require proper fluid levels are digestion, brain function, body temperature regulation, circulation, and kidney function.
- Getting enough water will help control your caloric intake. Often our brain will misunderstand thirst cues for hunger cues – so grab a glass of water before you grab a snack.
- Your muscles require enough water to function at their best, so ensure you get enough water to avoid muscle fatigue. Another thing to keep in mind is that when you are exercising, especially in the heat, your body will perspire more, causing even more fluid loss.
- Your whole digestive process, even your bowels, will thank you for drinking adequate fluid. To ensure that your bowels are working at their best, drink enough water to help that fibre along the way.
- Combat eczema from the inside out. One of the biggest questions I get from clients is what to do about eczema, and one of the most effective ways I have seen people help with the dryness associated with eczema is to drink lots of water.
Now, that you know some reasons, and by no means is this list exhaustive, why it is important to drink water, hopefully you will ensure that you always have a bottle of water with you. I am not always a fan of plain water, so I will often put from fresh herbs or fruit in my water to give it a bit of flavour. Or, I have a soda machine at home at will run my water through that to add some bubbles with out the sodium found in club soda. Most importantly, please avoid dehydration this summer by drinking enough.